Steps to Stopping an Abduction in Progress
Contact the Office of Children’s Issues immediately if:
- Your child is in the process of being abducted internationally by a family member, and
- Is NOT yet abroad.
Monday through Friday, 9 AM to 5 PM EST
Call at 202-485-6215
Evenings, Holidays, and Weekends
How we can help:
- We can work with law enforcement to try to stop the departure of children being abducted from the United States.
- If the abductor is transiting a country that is party to the Hague Abduction Convention, we will contact authorities of that country who can attempt to stop the abduction as it is in progress.
- If your child has already been abducted to another country, please visit our possible solutions page for more information, and then contact us for assistance.
Country officers are available to speak with you Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00p.m.
For assistance with an abduction in progress or any emergency situation that occurs after normal business hours, on weekends or federal holidays, please call the toll-free number below.
- 1-888-407-4747 Toll free from U.S. and Canada
- +1 202-501-4444