*Please note that expedited service is an additional fee of $60.
** Applies when the applicant chooses two-way Express Delivery.
Already Applied for a Passport?
Check the status of your application online.
It takes approximately 5-7 days for applications to be tracked online. It may take less time if you paid for Expedite Service and sent your application via overnight delivery.
Please remember when calculating processing times, passport cards cannot be shipped using overnight delivery. All passport cards are returned using First Class Mail.
If you are traveling within 2 weeks or need a passport for a foreign visa within 4 weeks and:
- Have not yet applied, please call our National Passport Information Center (1-877-487-2778) to schedule an appointment and submit your application at a Passport Agency.
- Have already applied, please contact our National Passport Information Center to speak with a Customer Service Representative when you are 7 days out from your travel date.
If you are NOT traveling within 2 weeks or need a passport for a foreign visa within 4 weeks and:
- Have not yet applied, please visit our First Time Applicants page or Renew a Passport page for information on how and where to apply.
- Have already applied, please refer to the application processing times above.
Please Note: the application processing times above apply to all types of passport services, including requests for a name change and additional visa pages.
Information About Expedited Service
The door-to-door estimated timeframe for receipt of your passport takes into consideration the:
- Additional time it may take to receive your passport application at a Passport Agency/Center when you apply for Expedited Passport Processing through an authorized passport acceptance facility; and
- Additional time it may take to mail the passport to you.
Effective January 1, 2015, the Department's standard for expedited passport processing completion, as defined in 22 CFR 51.56, is eight business days from either:
- Receipt of your passport application at a Passport Agency/Center; or
- If the passport application is already at a Passport Agency/Center, the date your request for expedited passport processing is approved.
Expedited passport processing is considered complete when the passport is ready to be picked up by an applicant or is mailed to the applicant. Mail delivery times may vary and are not included in the eight business day processing commitment.
Special Mailing Instructions
- Customers who apply for a renewal by mail must clearly mark "Expedite" on the outside of the mailing envelope, for the Expedited Passport Processing times to accurately apply.
- We strongly encourage you to mail your passport application and any personal documents using a trackable delivery method.
- In order to protect the contents of your mailing from the elements throughout the delivery process, we strongly encourage you to mail your passport application and any personal documents using a secure means of packaging, such as a Tyvek envelope.
- For detailed information on requesting expedited services, please visit Get a Passport in a Hurry.
Customers are advised to continue to check this web site for the most up-to-date application processing times.
Make an Appointment
Call the National Passport Information Center 24 hours a day to make an appointment at a passport agency.
- 1-877-487-2778; TDD/TTY: 1-888-874-7793