Add Pages to Passport
Beginning January 1, 2016 we will discontinue the service of adding additional visa pages to U.S. passports. Requests for additional visa pages may only be submitted until December 31, 2015.
Passport holders in need of additional space in their passports will need to renew their passports by mail using form DS-82. If you renew your passport from outside of the United States you will automatically be issued a larger 52-page book. If you renew your passport within the United States, please indicate your preference for a 28-page or 52-page book by checking the appropriate box at the top of the form. There is no fee difference for book sizes.
Number of Pages in a Passport Book
Standard passport books are currently issued with 28 pages.
- Of those, 17 are blank to be used for visas and country entry/exit stamps.
- Some countries have certain restrictions and may not allow
entry if you have less than a specific number of blank visa pages in
your passport, which may or may not need to be consecutive.
- See Country Information for additional details.
Requesting a Larger Passport Book
If you travel frequently, you may request to be issued a larger passport book with 52 pages.
- Of those, 43 are blank to be used for visas and country entry/exit stamps.
Adding Additional Pages
You may also add additional pages to a valid passport.
- Additional pages are added in packets of 24 blank visa pages.
Requesting a Larger Passport Book When Applying
To request a larger (52 page) passport book at no additional cost, simply check the '52 page' box at the top of your passport application:
- Form DS-82 if you are renewing your passport book, or
- Form DS-11 if you are applying for a passport for the first time, or you are not eligible to use the passport renewal form.
- We are able to honor most requests for larger passport books, but this may not be possible due to supply limitations.
- Checking the '52 page' box on your application form does not guarantee you will be issued a larger passport book.
Adding Additional Pages
If you travel frequently, you may add additional pages to your valid passport if you can meet the following requirements:
- Your passport book is currently valid (not expired) and
- You can submit your passport book to have additional pages added.
Please note that some countries have certain restrictions and may not allow you to enter if you have less than six months validity remaining on your passport. We recommend that you apply for a new passport in these instances.
To add additional pages, you must submit Form DS-4085 with your current passport and fees. You can request one or two packets of 24 blank pages to be added for the same price. You may:
- Use our online guide to fill out and print Form DS-4085; or
- Print out a blank Form DS-4085 and complete by hand.
You may submit Form DS-4085 by mail to the address on the form, or if you have upcoming travel plans (within 2 weeks) or you need to obtain a foreign visa (within 4 weeks), schedule an appointment at a Passport Agency or Center and submit it in person.
- We strongly encourage you to mail your passport application and any personal documents using a trackable delivery method.
- In order to protect the contents of your mailing from the elements throughout the delivery process, we strongly encourage you to mail your passport application and any personal documents using a secure means of packaging, such as a Tyvek envelope.
|Expedited at Agency||5 business days*|
*Based on need; restrictions apply
DS-4085: Application for Additional Visa Pages
DS-82: Application for a U.S. Passport by Mail (Renewals only)
DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport