A passport is not only your child’s ticket to world travel, but also serves as a primary form of photo identification for the rest of his or her life. Plus, as one mom noted, “Now our little frequent flyer has official identification whose benefits for us are twofold: peace of mind when encountering TSA and a pass for our future globetrotting.” Read the rest of Teddy's story here
Quick facts about applying for a minor's passport
Minor passports are issued to children under age 16. Adult passports are issued to individuals age 16 and older.
- Have 5 year validity; unlike adult passports that are valid for 10 years
- Cost less than an adult passport
- In most cases, require two parent consent
- Cannot be renewed by mail
- Require the DS-11 application whether a first time applicant or a returning applicant
- Applying for a passport book and passport card at the same time will save you money
- A passport card is wallet sized and a great form of identification for minors
Passport applications for minors under age 16, who have or have not had a passport in the past, must be submitted in person at a passport agency or authorized passport application acceptance facility. The minor must be present. Both parents or guardians should appear with the minor. If both parents/guardians cannot be present, see parental consent for additional document requirements.
What You Need to Apply
- A completed DS-11 form
- One 2”x2” passport photo
- Evidence of child’s U.S. citizenship
- Evidence of relationship between child and parent(s)/guardian(s)
- Parent(s) or guardian(s) identification and photocopy of identification
- Provide parental consent
- Pay applicable fee
For a complete list of required forms and documents visit the Minors Under Age 16 section
*Tips for taking pictures of your baby—Lay your baby on his or her back on a plain white or off-white sheet. This will ensure your baby's head is supported and provide a plain background for the photo. Make certain there are no shadows on your baby’s face, especially if you take a picture from above with the baby lying down. You can also cover a car seat with a plain white or off-white sheet and take a picture of your child in the car seat. This will also ensure your baby’s head is supported.
Fun Activities for Kids
Print a Youth Passport Activity Book
|Expedited at Agency||8 business days*|
*Based on need; restrictions apply
DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport
DS-3053: Statement of Consent - Issuing a Passport to a Minor Under Age 16
DS-5525: Statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstances - Issuing a Passport to a Minor Under Age 16
Applying for your child’s U.S. passport? Watch this video!