Secondary Evidence of Identification
If you cannot present primary identification, you must submit as much secondary identification as possible.
A Combination of Identifying Documents
Present a combination of documents that can be used to verify your personal identity. These documents are not acceptable as secondary identification when presented alone.
Example: Social Security Card + Credit Card + Employee ID + Library Card
An Identifying Witness
An identifying witness is a person who can swear to your identity. He or she must:
- Be present at the time of application,
- Have known you for at least 2 years,
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident,
- Have primary valid ID, and
- Fill out Form DS-71: Affidavit of Identifying Witness in the presence of a Passport Agent.
NOTE: Form DS-71 is only available at your local Acceptance Facility or a Passport Agency.
Make an Appointment
Call the National Passport Information Center 24 hours a day to make an appointment at a passport agency.
- 1-877-487-2778; TDD/TTY: 1-888-874-7793