Lost or Stolen U.S. Passports
If your passport has been lost or stolen, it should be reported immediately to help protect yourself against identity theft and to prevent someone else from using the passport.
To replace and report a lost or stolen passport
If you are in the United States and are traveling in 2 weeks or less:
- Make an appointment to apply in person at a Passport Agency or Center to replace your passport in 8 business days or less (based on need, some restrictions apply).
- You must submit Form DS-11 and DS-64 in person to the agency.
If you are in the United States and are not traveling within 2 weeks:
- You must submit Form DS-11 and DS-64 in person at an authorized Passport Application Acceptance Facility.
To report a lost or stolen passport only (without replacing)
If you would like to report a lost or stolen passport, but you do not need a new passport:
- Call us toll free at 1-877-487-2778 (TTY 1-888-874-7793), or
- Complete, sign, and mail Form DS-64 to the address on the form
If you find another person's lost U.S. passport, please mail it in a sturdy envelope to:
U.S. Department of State
1150 Passport Services PL
Dulles, VA 20189-1150
- Passports reported lost or stolen are invalidated and can no longer be used for travel.
- If your passport is recovered after it has been reported lost or stolen, please submit it to the address listed on the back of Form DS-64. When you submit it, if requested - we will cancel it and return it to you. If not requested, it will be destroyed.
- Once a passport is reported lost or stolen, it cannot be re-validated or used as evidence of U.S. citizenship.
To Report the Non-Receipt of a Passport After Mailing
If the Online Passport Status System or the National Passport Information Center has indicated that your newly issued passport has been mailed out, but you have not received it after ten business days, you should contact the National Passport Information Center to report the non-receipt of the passport. If you do not report the non-receipt of your passport within 90 days from the date the passport was issued, you will be required to reapply and pay all applicable fees.
|Expedited at Agency||8 business days*|
*Based on need; restrictions apply
DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport
DS-64: Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport