Renew a Passport
Renew by Mail if All of the Following are True
Your Most Recent U.S. Passport:
- Is undamaged and can be submitted with your application;
- Was issued when you were age 16 or older;
- Was issued within the last 15 years; and
- Was issued in your current name or you can legally document your name change with original or certified copy of your marriage certificate or the government-issued document evidencing your legal name change.
If any of the above statements do not apply to you, you must Apply in Person.
Before you start, please note:
- All minors age 15 and under who have or have not had a passport in the past must apply in person using form DS-11.
- If you have or ever had a passport book and you are eligible to use Form DS-82, you may apply for a passport card as a renewal by mail - even if it is your first passport card! To learn more about the U.S. passport card, click here.
- If your most recent U.S. passport has been mutilated, altered, or damaged, you cannot apply by mail - you must Apply in Person.
- Applicants will receive their old passport back in the mail. It may be sent separately from the new passport.
- If you are behind in child support payments, you may not be able to get a passport (See Child Support).
From Outside the United States:
- U.S. citizens residing abroad (except those living in Canada) should renew their passports at the nearest U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate. For more information on Applying for a U.S. passport from outside the United States, please click here.
- U.S. citizens residing in Canada may submit Form DS-82: Application for U.S. Passport by Mail to the address listed on the form.
- Passports renewed by mail in the United States may only be mailed to United States and Canadian addresses.
Submit a U.S. Passport Application by Mail:
Read and understand Steps 1 - 6 before leaving this page.
- Print Form DS-82 and complete by hand; or
- Use our online guide to fill out and print Form DS-82.
When submitting a U.S. passport book and/or card with the DS-82, please verify that the document was issued at age 16 or older and issued within the past 15 years. Your old passport book and/or card will be returned to you by mail and may come in a separate mailing from your new passport.
If the name you are currently using differs from the name on your most recent U.S. passport, you must submit a certified copy of your marriage certificate or court order showing the change of name. All documents will be returned to you by mail.
Please see Passport Fees for a listing of current passport fees. The $25 Execution Fee is not required with the Form DS-82.
Enclose the fee in the form of a personal check or money order. Make checks payable to "U.S. Department of State." The full name and date of birth of the applicant must be typed or printed on the front of the check.
Do not send Cash. We are not responsible for cash sent through the mail.
Expedite Service: For an additional fee, you may request expedited service. Please include this fee in your payment. Expedited service is only available in the United States. It is recommended that you use overnight delivery when submitting the application. Please include the appropriate overnight delivery fees with your payment. Passports cannot be mailed overnight to Canada.
To avoid processing delays, be sure your photo meets all the requirements and is properly submitted with your application.
When attaching your passport photo to Form DS-82, be sure you:
- Staple the photo to the application. Use 4 staples vertically in the corners as close to the outer edges as possible.
- Do not bend the photo.
The mailing address is different for Expedite Service Requests and Routine Service Requests.
Write "EXPEDITE" clearly on the outside of the mailing envelope and mail
the completed application to:
National Passport Processing Center
Post Office Box 90955
Philadelphia, PA 19190-0955
Mail the completed application to:
National Passport Processing Center
Post Office Box 90155
Philadelphia, PA 19190-0155
When mailing your passport application:
- It is strongly recommended that you mail your passport application and personal documents in an envelope large enough to fit the application without folding. Please do not use a standard letter-size #10 (4 1/8" x 9 1/2") envelope. This will help to protect the contents of your mailing from the elements throughout the delivery process.
- We strongly encourage you to mail your passport application and any personal documents using a trackable delivery method.
Requesting a Larger Passport Book When Renewing
If you travel frequently, you may request a larger passport book with 52 pages, at no additional cost. To request a larger (52 page) passport book, check the '52 page' box at the top of your passport application.
Please note: We are able to honor most requests for larger passport books, but due to supply limitations we cannot guarantee you will be issued a larger passport book.
Newly issued passport books are delivered via Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation, unless you pay for overnight delivery return service at time of application.
All passport cards will be returned using First Class Mail. Passport cards cannot be shipped using overnight delivery.
|Expedited at Agency||8 business days*|
*Based on need; restrictions apply
DS-82: Application for a U.S. Passport by Mail (Renewals only)