Get a Passport in a Hurry
The best strategy for expedited service is not to need it at all. Check the validity of your and your family’s passports as soon as you think about traveling. Applying for passports and/or renewing expired ones early is the best first step to relaxing travel. However, if you are caught in a bind, here are your options for expedited service.
You can request expedited service by mail or apply in person. Generally, you will receive your passport in three weeks, or sooner, if you can show an urgent need. Expedited service will cost an additional $60, plus any delivery costs.
Note: If you are a first time applicant, or if your most recent passport is lost or stolen or was issued more than 15 years ago, you must submit a Form DS-11 and apply in person at an authorized passport acceptance facility.
Life or Death Emergencies
Expedited Service by Mail
Anyone may request expedited service for any type of application (e.g., first-time applications, renewals, amendments of existing passports, etc.) although first time applications and replacement of lost and stolen passports must be initiated in person. See:
- How do I change my name on my passport?
- How to add extra pages to my passport?
- How do I apply to renew my passport?
- Please include payment in the form of Personal Check or Money Order (Payable to "U.S. Department of State").
- Please DO NOT send cash.
- Please clearly mark "EXPEDITE" on the outside of the envelope, if you submit a Form DS-82 renewal by mail.
- Please mail your passport application and any personal documents using a trackable delivery method.
- Please use secure means of packaging such as a Tyvek envelope to protect the contents of your mailing and any personal documents from exposure to the elements throughout the delivery process.
- Please consider using two-way overnight delivery.
- Please do not submit any prepaid return mailing envelopes or mailing stamps.
- Please expect your newly issued passport book to be delivered via Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation, unless you pay for overnight delivery return service at the time of application.
- Please expect your newly issued passport card to be delivered via First Class Mail only. Overnight delivery service is not available for passport cards.
- Passport applications sent together or at the same time do not necessarily remain together throughout the entire application process.
- Please know that your passport book and/or passport card is routinely mailed separately from your citizenship evidence. Your passport book and/or passport card will often be delivered before your citizenship evidence.
- Please see current processing times.
Expedited Service at an Authorized Passport Acceptance Facility
If you need a first time passport or need to replace a lost or stolen passport urgently, the best method is to apply at the nearest acceptance facility and request expedited service.
- Check here to find the authorized acceptance facility near you.
- Check with the facility for type of payment accepted.
Expedited Service at a Passport Agency
If you need a passport very quickly, the best method may be to apply at a U.S. Department of State Passport Agency.
- There are 28 passport agencies around the country that can provide expedited service. Many have opened in the last few years and there may be one closer to you than you think.
- Appointments are required to apply at U.S. Department of State passport agencies. Most passport agencies require proof of travel within two weeks in order to make an appointment. For a complete list, click here.
- Some passport agencies do not require proof of travel to make an appointment.
- To schedule an appointment, please call the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778; 1-888-874-7793 (TDD/TTY). The $60 expedite fee is required for each application submitted in person at a Passport Agency or Center. Payment methods include:
- Major Credit Card – Visa, MasterCard, American Express Discover
- Debit/Check cards (not ATM cards)
- Checks, bank drafts, money orders
- Cash payments must be exact change. No change is given.
- The passport agency will determine how best to return the passport in order to meet the customer's documented travel plans.
- Will Call service is offered for life/death emergencies and immediate travel.
- Proof of travel is required for will call service.
Passport Expeditor/Courier Companies
- Passport expeditor/courier companies are private entities, some of which are registered at our passport agencies, and are allowed to submit expedited passport applications on behalf of customers. To learn more about passport and visa expeditor/courier companies, please visit our Passport Expeditor/Courier page.
Make an Appointment
Call the National Passport Information Center 24 hours a day to make an appointment at a passport agency.
- 1-877-487-2778; TDD/TTY: 1-888-874-7793
DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport
DS-82: Application for a U.S. Passport by Mail
Non Refundable Fees
The passport application fee and the execution fee are non-refundable. They are collected and retained by law even if a passport is not issued.
Our expedited service commitment is to process your passport application within 8 business days from the time your application is received by a passport agency. This means you should receive your passport or denial letter within 3 weeks door-to-door.
To find out if you may be eligible for a refund of the expedite fee visit our refund page.