Refund of Expedite Passport Fees
Expedite passport applications
- Receive priority attention,
- Are processed more quickly than those receiving routine service, and
- Are frequently returned to you by the Passport Agency using overnight delivery service.
Our Expedited Service commitment is to process your passport application within 8 business days from the time your application is received by a passport agency. If this service commitment is not met we will refund the Expedited Service Fee.
To request a refund of the expedite fee, contact the U.S. Department of State only if:
- You paid the $60 fee for expedite service, and
- You have reason to believe that you did not receive expedited service. IMPORTANT NOTE: The Department considers requests for refunds on a case-by-case basis and cannot refund passport execution fees, nor compensate applicants for missed travel. It cannot refund passport application fees except in very limited circumstances outlined in 22 C.F.R. § 51.53(a). If you applied at a Passport Acceptance Facility or through the mail, you can determine when your application was received at a passport agency by contacting the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778.
How to Request a Refund By Email
Email RefundsAtPassportServices@State.gov with the following information:
- Your full name
- Your date of birth
- Your mailing address
You may also request a refund by mailing the following address:
You may view an archived list of our Expedited Service Commitment here.
Make an Appointment
Call the National Passport Information Center 24 hours a day to make an appointment at a passport agency.
- 1-877-487-2778; TDD/TTY: 1-888-874-7793