Refund of Expedite Passport Fees
Expedite passport applications
- Receive priority attention,
- Are processed more quickly than those receiving routine service, and
- Are frequently returned to you by the Passport Agency using overnight delivery service.
Our Expedited Service commitment is to process your passport application within 8 business days from the time your application is received by a passport agency. If this service commitment is not met we will refund the Expedited Service Fee.
To request a refund of the expedite fee, contact the U.S. Department of State only if:
- You paid the $60 fee for expedite service, and
- You have reason to believe that you did not receive expedited service.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The Department considers requests for refunds on a case-by-case basis and cannot refund passport execution fees, nor compensate applicants for missed travel. It cannot refund passport application fees except in very limited circumstances outlined in 22 C.F.R. § 51.53(a). If you applied at a Passport Acceptance Facility or through the mail, you can determine when your application was received at a passport agency by contacting the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778.
To request a refund of the expedite fee, submit a written request with the following information:
|1. Reason for request
2. Your passport number (if available)
3. Your name
4. Your date of birth
5. Your place of birth
|6. The approximate date you applied for a passport
7. The date you received your passport
8. Your mailing address
9. Your phone number(s)
To the following mailing address:
Department of State
2999 Passport PL
Washington, DC 20522-2999
Or by e-mail to:
You may view an archived list of our Expedited Service Commitment here.
Make an Appointment
Call the National Passport Information Center to make an appointment 24 hours a day.
- 1-877-487-2778; TDD/TTY: 1-888-874-7793