Obtain Copies of Passport Records
Passport Services maintains United States passport records from 1925 to the present. Passport records may consist of applications submitted for the issuance of a passport or other records such as a Consular Report of Birth, a Certificate of Witness to Marriage, a Certificate of Loss of Nationality, or a Consular Report of Death. These records are protected by the Privacy Act of 1974, 5 U.S.C. § 552a. Passport records do not include evidence of travel such as entrance/exit stamps, visas, residence permits, etc.
- Obtaining Passport Records for Issuances 1925 to Present
- Obtaining Passport Records for Issuances Prior to 1925
Obtaining Passport Records for Issuances 1925 to Present
A. Seeking a copy of (A) your passport records; (B) the passport records of your minor child or an incompetent person as to whom you are a legal guardian; or (C) the passport records of someone for whom you have their specific written authorization. This is considered a Privacy Act request.
Passport Services maintains United States passport records for passports issued from 1925 to the present. These records normally consist of applications for United States passports and supporting evidence of United States citizenship, and they are protected by the Privacy Act of 1974, as amended, 5 U.S.C. § 552a. Passport records do not include evidence of travel such as entrance/exit stamps, visas, residence permits, etc., since this information is entered into the passport book after it is issued.
The Privacy Act allows you to obtain copies of records in your own name and the name(s) of your minor child(ren) or an incompetent person for whom you are authorized to act as a guardian, as well as records in the name of any person who has properly authorized you to obtain them. To request these records, please submit a typed or clearly printed request that provides:
1. The full name at birth and any subsequent name changes of the individual whose records you are requesting, and if you are requesting records for your children or using an authorization, provide your full name as well.
2. Evidence of legal authorization if you are requesting records about anyone other than yourself, evidence of the parental relationship if you are requesting records about your minor child(ren), and evidence of the guardian relationship if you are requesting records about someone as to whom you are a legal guardian;
3. The date and place of birth of the individual whose records you are requesting;
4. Your current mailing address;
5. Your current daytime telephone number;
6. Your current e-mail address, if available;
7. The date or estimated date the passport(s) was issued;
8. The passport number of the person whose records you are seeking, if known, and any other information that will help us locate the records; and
9. A clear copy of your valid Government-issued photo identification (e.g., a driver’s license).
The request must be signed and notarized. If you are making the request on behalf of another as an authorized representative, you may use DS-4240, the Department’s Certification of Identity form, to provide proof of authorization.
There is a no fee to request a regular copy of your passport records, those of your minor child(ren) or an incompetent person for whom you act as a guardian, or as an authorized representative for another individual U.S. citizen. If you wish to obtain certified copies of these records, the certification fee is $50.00. Checks or money orders should be made payable to “Department of State” and mailed with the request above to the address below. If you would like a certified copy of a passport record, send requests for your passport records directly to Passport’s Office of Legal Affairs and Law Enforcement Liaison, Law Enforcement Liaison Division, at the address below:
U.S. Department of State
Law Enforcement Liaison Division
1150 Passport Services Pl, 4th Floor
Dulles, VA 20189-1150
B. Seeking a copy of someone else’s passport records without an authorization from that individual. This is considered a third-party or FOIA request.
All requests for passport records of a third party, other than individuals described in Part A, will be processed under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and should be directed to the Department of State, Office of Information Programs and Services (IPS). These records may be requested by mail at:
Office of Information Programs and Services
U. S. Department of State
Washington, DC 20522-8100
For more information about making a request for passport records under the FOIA, please visit www.foia.state.gov. You may be responsible for fees under the FOIA as set forth at: foia.state.gov/Request/Fees.aspx.
Please note that the Department may not certify copies of passport records provided under the FOIA, including those of a third party sought without their written authorization. Any checks received by the Department for this service will not be processed and will be returned to the sender.
Obtaining Passport Records for Issuances Prior to 1925
National Archives and Records Administration
Reference Branch 8th & Pennsylvania Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20408
Telephone: 1-866-325-7208 or 202-357-5411
Revised January 2014
Make an Appointment
Call the National Passport Information Center to make an appointment 24 hours a day.
- 1-877-487-2778; TDD/TTY: 1-888-874-7793