Skip Navigation

The Immigrant Visa Process

Pay Processing Fees

The National Visa Center (NVC) collects immigrant visa application forms, Affidavit of Support forms, and ensures all fees have been paid prior to the immigrant visa interview at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate outside the U.S. Review our fee payment FAQs.

Fee Collection

At the appropriate time, the NVC will send the following fee invoices:

  • Affidavit of Support fee invoice - will be sent to the petitioner; and
  • Immigrant Visa Processing fee invoice - will be sent to the applicant or the applicant's designated agent.

If an attorney is representing the applicant, the NVC will send both invoices to the attorney.

Both fees must be paid by one of these two options:

Do not send any payments directly to the NVC.


Important Notice

If you plan to apply for a Provisional Unlawful Presence Waiver you must submit proof of payment of your IV application fee with your provisional waiver Form I-601A application to USCIS. After you pay the IV application fee online, you can print your payment confirmation from the Consular Electronic Application Center (CEAC). Visit the webpage, Provisional Waiver–NVC FAQs for more information. A Spanish translation is available here. USCIS will notify the NVC that you have applied for a provisional unlawful presence waiver.

Next Steps - After Fee Payment

After you have paid the required Affidavit of Support fee, petitioners should follow the detailed instructions in Establish Financial Support.

Then, after you have paid the required Immigrant Visa Processing fee, follow the detailed instructions in Submit Visa Application and Supporting Documents.

Additional Information:  Adjustment of Status in the United States

Important Notice: If you are physically present in the United States and will be eligible to apply for adjustment of status with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) while in the United States, then you should not pay any fees to the NVC. Instead, you should contact the NVC and USCIS to notify them of your intent to adjust status.

Who's Involved

U.S. Embassies and Consulates: Find a U.S. Embassy or Consulate, nearest your residence abroad, where you will apply and be interviewed for your U.S. visa.

National Visa Center: After petition approval, the National Visa Center (NVC) handles processing for certain kinds of documents, sending them onward to U.S. Embassies & Consulates. When and how to Contact NVC

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS): USCIS oversees immigration to the United States and approves (or denies) immigrant petitions, and more. Learn about USCIS.

What does it mean to be a...