Your Most Recent U.S. Passport:
Is undamaged and can be submitted with your application
Was issued when you were age 16 or older
Was issued within the last 15 years
Was issued in your current name or you can legally document your name change
If any of the above statements do not apply to you, you must Apply in Person
A Note on the U.S. Passport Card:
If you are a previous passport book holder and you are eligible to use Form DS-82, you may apply for a passport card as a renewal by mail - even if it is your first passport card!
To renew your U.S. Passport by mail, you must submit Form DS-82, Application for a U.S. Passport by Mail. Locate Form DS-82 and step-by-step instructions at Form DS-82: Application for a U.S. Passport by Mail.
How long will it take to process your passport application? See Application Processing Times.
- If your most recent U.S. passport has been mutilated, altered or damaged, you cannot apply by mail - you must Apply in Person.
- We strongly encourage you to mail your passport application and any personal documents using a traceable delivery method.
- Please do not submit any prepaid return mailing envelopes or mailing stamps. Newly issued Passport Books are delivered via Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation, unless you pay for overnight delivery return service at time of application. Overnight delivery service is not available for passport cards, which are delivered via First Class Mail only.
- In order to protect the contents of your mailing from the elements throughout the delivery process, it is strongly recommended that you mail your passport application and personal documents in an envelope large enough to fit the application without folding. Please do not use a standard letter-size #10 (4 1/8" x 9 1/2") envelope.
- Passports renewed by mail in the United States may only be mailed to United States and Canadian addresses.
- If you are behind in child support payments, you may not be able to get a passport (See Child Support).
U.S. citizens residing abroad (except those living in Canada) should renew their passports at the nearest U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate.
U.S. citizens residing in Canada may submit Form DS-82: Application for U.S. Passport by Mail to the address listed on the form.
You should make an appointment to be seen at a Regional Passport Agency only if:
Contact the National Passport Information Center to make an appointment or locate a Passport Agency.